Have you ever had a filling?
The CDC estimates that 9 out of 10 people in the U.S. will have a cavity at some point in their life, so the chances are pretty good.
Once your filling is placed, you might think you never have to worry about it again. Unfortunately, while white fillings placed by Bonita Springs dentist Dr. Michael Gostigian can last a long time, they typically don’t last forever.
By keeping up good habits, however, you can extend the life of your fillings to protect your teeth.
How Long Do Fillings Last?
Studies show that composite resin (tooth-colored) fillings, on average, last about 10 years. This is comparable to the life of amalgam (metal) fillings. In very large fillings, metal fillings can outlast tooth-colored fillings. If you have a very large cavity and need extensive restoration, Dr. Gostigian will discuss your options with you, which may include placing a crown, inlay, or onlay.
How Can I Keep My Fillings Healthy?
Keeping your teeth clean and practicing good hygiene habits will help keep your fillings in great shape:
- Brush twice daily and floss once daily.
- Visit Dr. Gostigian twice a year for cleanings and examinations (or as directed). During your examination, Dr. Gostigian will check the condition of your fillings and any other dentistry you have.
- Limit foods and drinks that stain. Like your natural enamel, composite resin can pick up stains and discoloration, but it won’t respond to teeth whitening treatments like enamel.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking not only stains your teeth and your restorations, but it also contributes to gum disease, which exposes tooth roots and makes them more susceptible to decay.
- Eat a healthy diet. Limit sugary snacks to avoid developing additional cavities.
- If you notice sensitivity or discomfort in the area where you have your filling, contact us right away. White fillings bond to the tooth structure, but we will want to make sure that the filling hasn’t come loose. Loose fillings allow bacteria behind the filling, where they can cause further decay.
Is it time to schedule a check-up?
Email or call Bonita Grande Dental today at (239) 301-2713 and we’ll find a time that works for you!